Industrial Fire World - Blog - Fires continue to burn five days after Texas chemical plant blast

Fires continue to burn five days after Texas chemical plant blast

PortNeches KBMT

PORT NECHES, TX – No fatalities and relatively few injuries were the chief blessings for which residents gave thanks after several massive explosions and a continuous raging fire at the TPC Group petrochemical plant forced many to spend the Thanksgiving holidays elsewhere.

As of Sunday, at least three large fires were still burning inside the TPC plant, down from six fires reported Friday.

On Wednesday, after a second explosion in 13 hours rocked the plant site, Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick ordered a mandatory evacuation of all homes and businesses within a four-mile radius of TPC. The affected radius included tens of thousands living in the communities of Port Neches, Groves, Nederland and the northern portion of Port Arthur.

The order, in place more than 42 hours, was lifted Friday morning save for various road closings near the plant that remain in effect.

In a televised press conference prior to the second explosion Branick made no secret of his reservations about imposing such an evacuation order.

“The truth of the matter is in any emergency you can’t utilize your law enforcement to remove people who won’t obey an evacuation order,” he said. “People need to exercise caution and understand that a significant event has occurred.”

With so much residential damage after the Wednesday morning explosion, Branick said that many would be reluctant to leave their homes vulnerable to looters.

As the fire stretched into its fifth day Sunday, the most significant event during the holiday weekend was when a damaged distillation column collapsed. That and one launched into the sky by the Wednesday afternoon blast has reduced the columns still standing at TPC to two.

Throughout the emergency firefighters have taken a defensive stance rather than directly attacking the flames. Troy Monk, director of health, safety and security for TPC Group, told reporters early on that the ferocity of the fire prevented responders from making a closer inspection.

“We have taken the best defensive position we can to initiate cooling, isolate as much as we can so we don’t continue to feed the fire, then develop a strategy by which we can take emergency responders into the hot zone and begin to snuff the fire out,” Monk said.

Of an estimated 30 people working in the processing area at the time of the Wednesday morning blast two TPC employees and a contractor suffered injuries. A power outage at the plant was reported prior to the explosion.

Although one of the TPC employees was transferred from a local hospital to one in Houston, all three casualties were released after treatment.

Both Branick and Port Neches Mayor Glenn Johnson live close enough to the petrochemical plant to have been rudely awakened by the blast.

“I was one of those that live within half a mile of the event,” Johnson said. “I understand what getting blown out of bed means now.”

Branick told reporters that the pressure wave from the explosion blew in the front and back doors of his home. Property damage of the same caliber – broken windows, collapsed ceiling – was reported throughout the affected communities.

Damage was so widespread that both the primary and secondary locations specified for the emergency operations center proved unusable. Instead, the EOC was established at the Huntsman chemical plant, a mutual aid partner to TPC.

“Best laid plans, right,” Monk said.

While early air monitoring indicated nothing dangerous, Monk warned residents to take seriously the shelter-in-place order issued by the county.

“The most common thing is going to be respiratory-type irritation which is mostly from the smoke, not necessarily the chemical itself,” he said. “You have to understand that the chemical is actually being consumed by part of the fire. Unfortunately, this type of fire produces smoke that is an irritant.”

Three tanks burning after the first explosion were identified as containing butadiene, listed as a known carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) and other agencies.

Asked about black debris or residue being found on homes and lawns in the wake of the fire, Monk advised not to touch it.

“Call the hotline and if we need to we will come out, evaluate it and arrange for disposal,” Monk said. “We certainly don’t want people touching it with their bare hands because it could be contaminated.”

A press release issued Sunday by TPC Group states that asbestos insulation may be included among debris from the initial explosion hurled into nearby neighborhoods. In response, TPC hired consultants from the Center for Toxicology and Environmental Health in Kemah, TX to conduct air sampling.

“Air sampling continues to verify no measurable concentrations of airborne asbestos fibers,” the TPC Group release states. “Given the nature of asbestos, we have urged people not to try to attempt to clean up the debris themselves.”

Texas chemical plant fire enters its fifth day
Glass plant accident in Spain spills 150 tons of m...


Go to top